Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Student's Journey of Becoming an Upper Cervical Doctor (9th Quarter)

Not only is it summer time, but somehow it’s already halfway over. I just got back from a very relaxing and rewarding three week summer break. During that time, I made sure to get away from school as fast as possible and tend to the more important things in life such as friends and family. I spent a lot of time the first week at home. The next week, I went and visited my older brother in Florida for the week. With him being in graduate school and me in chiropractic school, our breaks are NEVER on the same weeks with our crazy schedules. Therefore, this was the first time I have seen him since Christmas. That just seemed way too long to be away from somebody you spent the majority of your life growing up with. So, I made it a priority to get down there and enjoy some time with him. It was really fun catching up and just being together again. Once I got back to NC, my fiance’ and I went and visited some good friends from college down in Wilmington and had a really fun weekend at the beach :-).
Those vacations were much needed after a hectic quarter. My classmates and I completed 10 courses (largest course load to date for us). Below is a quick list of all ten classes we took so you have an idea what we have been studying the past three months.
1)      Clinical Reasoning
2)      Pre-Clinic  
3)      Entrance Exam for Clinic
4)      Clinical Case and Diagnosis Management II
5)      Patient Education – I of course focused my entire class experience on Upper Cervical Care. The concept of Upper Cervical Care is simple. People don’t get it for many reasons. The three main reasons I came up with are these: 1) It’s too simple they can’t believe it. 2) People today are brainwashed thinking that they need to take something or put a foreign substance in their body to obtain “health” and “wellness.” I was one of these people for the longest time, until I finally learned WHAT health is and WHERE it comes from. 3) They simply have not heard of it. We have to get the word out!
6)      X-ray Analysis II
7)      Soft Tissue Pathology
8)      Thoraco-lumbar X-ray positioning
9)      Spinal Exam Review
10)   Applications of Clinical Radiology
Phew. Good news is: it gets a little easier the next few quarters. Next quarter, the schedule gets knocked down a class for a total of 9, and then it substantially starts dropping. After Christmas, I won’t be taking more than 3 or 4 classes at a time until I graduate. I can’t express the excitement to be done with managing and studying for so many classes and getting to focus on getting people well by letting their bodies express themselves the way they are intended to.
        So, at the end of my last blog, I had just completed my first board exam out of five in order to get my license in North Carolina. I was one of the last ones to check my scores in my class. Everyone had checked his/her score first thing in the morning once school started. I wanted to wait until I got home so I can share it with my loved ones back home who have supported me and encouraged me so much through this entire process. I am very pleased and proud of my classmates when I say that all 8 of us passed all six sections of the first national board exam. We have been one of the few classes lately to have a 100% pass rate on the first attempt. We were all very excited about the great news knowing that all our hard work for the past 21 months paid off. All the Friday nights studying instead of having fun, the spending all day Sundays wanting to watch football but have to study because of the multiple exams waiting in the upcoming week, the late nights in the library, the constant sacrifice of balancing studying and time with loved ones…. It all led to us passing the exam and moving on to our next chapter in our careers in chiropractic school!
        So, here comes 9th quarter. This is the quarter where we are allowed to start seeing student patients in the health center and start completing our clinic requirements towards graduation. I am very excited to actually apply what I have been training to do for the past two years. My experience at Sherman has gone at an incredibly fast rate, yet at the same time, kind of slow. I feel I have been in school for so long that I don’t know anything else. On my breaks, it takes me two or three days off of school until I realize I am on break. Those first few days, I feel like I have to be studying or preparing for a project or exam. It is crazy how we get on such a routine; we can sometimes get overwhelmed in it. A lesson I learned this summer is taking a vacation is EXTREMELY important for one’s health. Yes, the same term which we associate with upper cervical care, proper nutrition, and educated decisions. Letting the body just chill is vital. Look at the world’s strongest men. Bodybuilders who can pull 18-wheeler trucks behind them take complete shutdown weeks every two or three months. Can you imagine being the world’s strongest man or woman and taking an entire week off up to FIVE to SIX times per year? Sounds impossible, right? No. They will be the first ones to tell you that the body needs rest; physically, mentally, emotionally.



So, my advice heading into the quarter? Take a vacation. Throw a dart at a map and go there. Don’t go to the gym for seven consecutive days (for the gym rats only). Take some time to go see some family or long lost friends. Recharge the batteries. The body is a fine-tuned machine. But, we do the most healing and growing when we are resting. We were created that way. God Himself took a day off after creating the ENTIRE universe for six consecutive days. We’re wired to rest, sometimes our society doesn’t allow it, so…….. go against society. Listen to your body.
God Bless,

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment