Friday, June 13, 2014

Final Journal Entry

     The past three months I have had the privilege to leave school early and participate in an externship program instead of staying in Spartanburg for my final quarter. The externship program is an opportunity where students who finish their clinic requirements early can go out into the field and shadow an existing doctor of their choice for the remaining time of their school career. Without question, I chose to learn as much as I can from Dr. Chad McIntyre of the Triad Upper Cervical Clinic in Kernersville, NC . He changed my life and I am forever grateful for him and passion to bring healing to the world. The last requirement for graduation is to write a reflection essay to a prompt regarding my experience during the externship. So, this is what I turned in for my final paper, my final assignment, and my final departure from school on my way to becoming an Upper Cervical doctor.

Create an essay of reflection considering the totality of your observation experience and how it will inform your own decisions as you begin practice. Use specific incidents reflecting practices that you may consider positive or negative and comment on what you will take away from the situations

     I am very grateful that I got the opportunity to participate in the externship program this past quarter. I found it very beneficial for me to be getting constant advice and experience on a weekly basis. Dr. Chad developed a goals list for me during the first week regarding all of the objectives we wanted to get accomplished during this 10 week period. It seemed like every day there was one or two highlights that I picked up on that were very valuable for me in all of my decision making processes. Only because I have to mention negatives in the essay, (there really are none); the only negative that I can say about the externship experience is the travel distance from my place of residence to the office. There are simply not enough Upper Cervical doctors in North Carolina, or in world for that matter. If we had more doctors, we can help so many more people in areas that are underserved. People have no clue what we do as Upper Cervical doctors. There is an extreme need for more of us.
     
     However, I experienced a vast amount of positives during my externship experience that really gave me a lot of momentum in the future months as I begin practice. For one, I efficiently learned an organized system regarding processes for new patients. From first day case histories, explanation of policies and protocols, to the x-rays were so much more simplified and easier than what we did at the Sherman clinic. Our interns back at school take way too long to get a patient processed and under care under the current health center policies. Regarding day two, I learned easy systems on how to relay information to the patient regarding report of findings and the care plans. One of the most important things I learned during this externship was how to DISCUSS financials with patients. The Sherman health center handles all of that for us so we get absolutely no practice with it. In addition, the health center system does not operate in a way that is conducive with upper cervical care regarding when and when not to adjust patients. At Dr. Chad’s office, I learned how to discuss how the goal is not to make a correction every time and how the investment into their health is worth not being adjusted all the time. If there is too much adjusting going on, we might be doing more harm than good. If you truly educate people on your goals and objectives AND WHAT HEALTH IS, they understand and are on board with what you are trying to accomplish. I also learned how to effectively educate patients at the end of care plans and transition patients into wellness/maintenance.

     I also learned the ins and outs of running the front desk and the managerial tasks needed to operate the office. What Mollie and Sarah (office managers) do at the front desk is nothing short of amazing. They keep the practice running smoothly and without chaos. It was always good to walk through the front door and see their smile and know that they are truly happy to see you on that day. They make the patients feel welcomed and comfortable during their time at the office on an everyday occasion. Mollie was awesome during my time at Triad Upper Cervical Clinic. She gave me several resources, contacts, and advice throughout the entire process. She taught me so many things that cannot be taught in a classroom or through a textbook, but only in real life situations. Mollie also taught me how to run the software program in order to efficiently keep the front desk organized. She has been a great mentor and resource. I honestly expected I would be spending 100% of my time with Dr. Chad learning how a practice is operated going into the externship. However, Mollie was so receptive and willing to teach me all of what she knows; it has been a great blessing sitting at the front desk with her.

     In addition, I experienced huge leaps and gains regarding patient education. Not too many people know what we do as Upper Cervical doctors. So, educating the community is extremely important. Dr. Chad taught me how to perform health talks for new patient orientation classes, and how to run other education oriented events such as movie nights and screenings. Dr. Chad and Mollie even took an hour out of their late Tuesday night well AFTER the office had been closed and listened to me give a health talk to just the two of them. They were extremely encouraging and helpful providing excellent feedback and positive criticism. This along with other aspects of practice such as scanning and adjusting protocols created the greatest gift Dr. Chad and Mollie gave me during these three months, which was… confidence. They gave me the confidence to do this on my own in front of my community. Encouragement goes a long way no matter what the context or subject, in every aspect of life. 

     Dr. Chad was also an integral part in me getting my business set up. He helped with a countless number of tasks that I still to this day take for granted. He helped me with my location selection, my business startup documents, my equipment, my software programs, even to the type of furniture I use. Anytime I asked him, he had an immediate answer and I just can’t express with words on a paper how helpful he has been throughout this entire process. Not just during the externship these past couple months, but since Day 1 of starting school, he has been there for me without hesitation.

     Most importantly, this entire experience refocused me on why I’m doing this. I sometimes find myself concerned regarding paying back the hundreds of thousands of dollars of student loans. Dr. Chad’s meekness and true passion for simply HELPING people is both electric and contagious. I am truly grateful for everything he has taught me and will continue to teach me on my journey of seeking to do exactly what he does… which is care for others. Every person that I help in my practice can thank Dr. Chad for getting me to where I am. Without him, who knows what I would be doing… seriously, I have no idea where my path would have led if God didn’t choose to put Dr. Chad in my life at the EXACT time that He did, when I needed him most, when I was at my lowest of lows and the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced. He forever changed my life, and through God’s grace, and Dr. Chad’s passion for teaching and helping, I hope to do the very same in Wilmington.

     Finally, thank you to all the patients who let me sit in on your visits while working at Dr. Chad’s office. I appreciate your kindness and willingness to help me learn and absorb as much I could during your time at the office. The lessons learned were invaluable.



Merry Christmas and God Bless,


Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment