Monday, June 16, 2014

Why I Became an Upper Cervical Doctor

Why I Became an Upper Cervical Doctor

      Hello everyone. In the past few years, many people have asked me why I chose to become an Upper Cervical Doctor. Depending on the day or the particular situation; I give people 30 to 60 second explanations on why I do what I do. At times, that short encounter gets the point across, but in reality it barely scratches the surface of what burns inside me.
     When I was 21 years old, I thought I was as healthy as I could be. My diet was the best had ever been, I was running sprints, lifting weights, and getting plenty of sleep every day. My body was like a machine. I was unquestionably in the best shape of my life. So I thought. Little did I know, I was as sick as I’d ever been; I just didn’t ‘feel’ sick.
     So, before we dive into my story, allow me to go over a very elementary anatomy and physiology lesson with you. Our body is made up of trillions of cells. Everyone knows that. Those cells work together in different structures and networks and are collectively called tissues. Some of those tissues form muscles, some of them glands, and some of them our vital organs. So, you can make the very clear assumption that the cells in our body make up every part of our body. Have you ever wondered what keeps all of this running? What keeps our cells alive? What keeps our heart beating? What keeps our lungs inhaling and exhaling without even thinking about it? The answer is our NERVOUS SYSTEM. We go to the eye doctor to get our eyes checked and to meet our vision needs. We go to the dentist to make sure our teeth and gums are healthy. When was the last time, or have you ever had, your nervous system checked? If the nervous system is what controls our eyes, our teeth, and every other part of our body…. Doesn’t it make sense we should be concerned on how that’s functioning?
     Back to my story, that’s the sad realization that hit me in a not so kind way. In the general doctor’s eyes, I was as strong as can be. My resting HR, blood pressure, body weight, body fat%, everything was in tip-top shape. However, my nervous system, which controls every function in the body, was not working. Not only was it not working, it was breaking down on me.

My Upper Cervical Story

During the early summer of 2010, I was working at a car manufacturing plant for some summer cash. I was lifting heavy tarps that easily weighed over 60-70 pounds constantly from 7:00 am - 3:00 pm. I was pretty good at it due to the fact I was the only one in the plant doing it. Therefore, I had nobody to talk to or no distractions. So, I would sing my favorite songs out loud and just worked all the day long. It was peaceful, it was fun, and I got paid to move around and lift stuff. Every kid’s dream job! After work, I would go lift weights or run with my younger brother, and also played in a men’s league softball team. Due to a complication with my nervous system called a brainstem subluxation (more on that in a bit), all of this just severely wore down my body in a matter of two-three short weeks. I developed a severely painful and debilitating case of sciatica down my right hip and leg. Sciatica is very common and varies in severity with every patient. My discomfort can be described as sharp, electric-like stabbings all throughout my low back and leg all the way down to my ankle. It was incredibly painful to sit, twist my torso, bend down, or roll over in bed. Every day continually got worse. My relationships with my family and loved ones changed that summer. I was in so much pain and discomfort, my behavior, attitude, and outlook on life changed. I became bitter, and wanted people to be sympathetic with my problem. The problem was nobody knew what was causing it or how to fix it. I was going to a full-spine chiropractor EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK, getting STEM therapy, massage therapy, and adjustments five times per week. However, after every adjustment, it only got worse and the sciatica was even more debilitating. Within a matter of weeks, I couldn’t even get out of bed without tearing up from the pain. I also was driving over two hours to see a Traditional Chinese Medicine Doctor once-twice per week to receive acupuncture, massage, and homeopathic herbal treatments for my pain. Needless to say, I had to quit my job before I really even got going. I spent a few good hours looking for the best surgeons from all over the country who could fix this for me. I narrowed it down to a Neurosurgery clinic in Texas, and the Cleveland Clinic for Neurosurgery. I was in so much pain I wasn’t even going to bother with doctors near my hometown. I wanted this pain gone, and gone forever.
What happened to my body? I mentioned earlier, I was in my early 20’s, best shape of my life, ate extremely healthy, as strong as can be. Why am I going backwards and why so quickly?
 By the grace of God and only the grace of God, I had heard about Upper Cervical Care before in the past from a co-worker. I kind of put that in the back of my memory and never thought anything of it. However, in such a desperate situation and in so much severe pain; I decided to try Upper Cervical Care before going under the knife. I drove 2 hours to get examined by Dr. Chad McIntyre of theTriad Upper Cervical Clinic in Kernersville, NC. Now to preface this doctor visit, I have been to MULTIPLE doctors looking to fix my problem. Everybody always looked at my low back and leg because that’s where the pain was. As I hobbled into Dr. Chad’s office in so much pain, he took me in the back to examine me. He didn’t look anywhere near my low back or leg. He asked me about it, but knew that wasn’t my problem. He took a few x-rays, and did some specific, Upper Cervical examinations, and explained to me that my nervous system was malfunctioning. He explained to me that the hub, or main control center of our nervous system, is our brainstem. The brainstem is what connects the brain to the rest of the body and is responsible for routing all of the messages from the brain to the body and vice versa, therefore being responsible for every function, and I mean EVERY function in our body.

     It extends from the brain down through an opening in the base of your skull. The inferior portion of this vital tissue is protected by the top two bones in our neck, or our upper cervical spine. Working much like a telephone cable, the brainstem has millions of individual wires, or nerve fibers, which send signals back and forth between the brain and every system, organ, muscle, and cell within the body.  We must have 100% brain-to-body communication in order to function properly and remain healthy.
     The top two bones in the neck are the only two in the entire spine that are held in place by muscle and ligaments. They are designed to move in six directions and are considered freely movable. Every other bone in the spine, not only have a disc in between adjacent bones, but also have multiple inter-locking joints that only allow the bones to move in 2 directions.  As a result, the top two freely movable bones are much more susceptible to injury misalignment. 
     If one of the upper two bones becomes misaligned, two things happen.  First and foremost, it irritates or interferes with the brainstem and negatively affects the messages from the brain to the body. Wherever those messages were intended to go, whether it’s your digestive system, pancreas, heart, immune system, or eyes; it is going to malfunction, become sick and possibly shut down. In my case, I blew out two discs in my lower back, and my body couldn’t heal it; due to the messages not being able to get through. My brainstem was having the life choked out of it, it was a miracle that I only suffered from my severe low back and leg pain, and nothing else.  Secondly, let’s view the upper cervical spine as a kinetic chain, connecting from head to toe. If either of the top two bones becomes misaligned, the rest of the body must compensate or adapt, resulting in total “body imbalance.”  In the end, your health and physical body will be compromised.  This condition is called a brainstem subluxation. In my case, my top bone in my upper cervical spine was misaligned, to the point where my neck, shoulders, spine, hips, and even down to my feet had to shift in order to compensate for this malfunction. This shifting caused my spine to curve and become weak to the point where I had my low back give out at such a young age.

     Dr. Chad explained that we needed to gently move the top bone into the correct place in order to give my body a chance to heal. If I didn’t have it fixed, I would just continue to spiral down and have even more severe problems down the road. Immediately after my first correction, my entire body started pulsating. My face felt like it was about to explode. I knew we were on to something with this so-called Upper Cervical Care. Dr. Chad was very understanding and had a very personable way of educating me about how the Brainstem Subluxation affects our bodies. He made it very easy to understand that although ALL the pain was in my low back and leg, that wasn’t the problem. He showed me how the brainstem is what controls every function of our body and how all of the brain’s healing messages go down through the brainstem in order to get to the rest of the body. Acting like a switchboard operator, if there is a glitch, kink, or complication at the level of the brainstem, the body is simply going to functionally and structurally break down. Within two days, I was bending down with ease and going up and down the stairs without hesitation for the first time in what seemed like forever. After receiving my second correction a week later, I was back to full strength. I went from not being able to tie my shoes or roll out of bed, and days away from wanting to schedule surgery, to playing softball and running sprints within seven days from receiving my first Upper Cervical correction. It truly was a miracle. I was forever thankful and fully convinced that this is what I need to do with the rest of my life. If I can make a specific correction to help alleviate pain and suffering for ONE PERSON, it can positively impact their life for the greater good. If I can do that for a few hundred people, we can affect the well-being of a neighborhood. If I can help restore health and wellness to thousands of people by helping their nervous system work more optimally, we change the mentality and health of an entire city. If we had Upper Cervical doctors in every town of every state and nation, we can change the health of the world. I think you get the point. It would be amazing to help this world become healthier and less sick, in a natural, non-invasive manner. There wouldn’t be a need for antibiotics, vaccines, or steroids to help with different conditions and illnesses. If our nervous systems were working at 100%, our immune system will therefore be working better, our organs will therefore work better, and our entire body will work more optimally. My Upper Cervical story was severe low back pain and sciatica. What’s yours? Do you have neck or low back pain? Headaches? Fibromyalgia? Multiple Sclerosis? Arthritis? Neuralgia? Or, do you understand the simple concept that your nervous system is what controls everything, and although you don’t suffer from anything to your knowledge, you want to make sure you, your spouse, and your kids are correctly routing the very important messages from the brain to every part of your body. Just because you don’t feel “sick,” that doesn’t mean that your body is working at optimal levels. Other than direct trauma, all disease processes and conditions take time to develop. In my case, I was sick, but “felt fine” for a long time before the weak link in my body, my low back, finally just quit on me.
     If you really want to be healthier, give Upper Cervical Care a try. If you need help finding an Upper Cervical doctor in your area, please contact me and I will do my best to direct you to the closest, most qualified Upper Cervical doc. Don’t be like me. Don’t wait until your body is shutting down, and you have symptoms, to pursue health. Be proactive; take that step! Live well! That’s my Upper Cervical story. My mission is to glorify and serve my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ by bringing specific, Upper Cervical Care to anybody and everybody who wants to be healthier. Our bodies are fearfully and wonderfully made, take care of them. You only get one!

Until next time.

God Bless,


               Dr. Josh



"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today, will affect the lives of millions tomorrow."     - Dr. BJ Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment